Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Learning from people's experiences

The events and experiences over the last few days have changed a lot in me. And the change is Positive. I am glad to be a part of the institution, TISS and the opportunity I was provided as a part of the Transforming M-Ward project. One week, the entire academic classes were suspended and the entire college including the students and the faculty was involved into the household survey in the M-ward area. There was a team of around 20 students along with faculty members was formed which conducted the homeless survey which went out on the streets of M-ward locating the homeless and later talking to them. I, being a part of the team learnt a lot about my own self and the challenges within the field. The entire experience changed the way I used to think about my future in terms of work scene. Right now, I am at that stage in life where in few months would start working, but then I am still unsure what will I be best at and how can I include my educational training into the sector I get into.
While one night we were out to interview a group of people, the narration from a lady just hit me so much that I just could not control my emotions. After the interview, as I walked away, I had tears in my eyes and I just could not figure out the reason for it. Despite the fact that I am aware of the reality, but the first hand experiences of people just shook me completely. The entire night I could not sleep but just think about the 163 families whose houses were demolished just 2 weeks back and the women were beaten up by the police. A sense of helplessness took over me and I started to question my own self and how I could bring about a change in peoples lives.
Somewhere this entire incident moved me so much that the way now I understand certain things and expect things to be has changed.At this point of time, I just have hope.., hope to make a change, be it a small little difference in peoples lives. And I hope that I do justice to the field and the issue I would work with! Also I would want the entire narration by the people to stay with me forever which would motivate me to work in the right direction without being influenced by the other factors working around!

No comments: